Local Sports Card Dealer Sells to Tom Brady at Fanatics Fest: A Dream Come True

Screenshot 2024-08-23 133148.png

Kevin Randall, a well-known sports card dealer from Central Massachusetts, experienced a once-in-a-lifetime moment at Fanatics Fest in New York City. Known in the card community as "the Brady Guy," Randall packed his best Tom Brady cards, hoping for a successful weekend. But what happened next exceeded his wildest expectations.

“We joked about the possibility of Brady showing up,” Randall said. “But we never really thought it would happen.”

That joke turned into reality when Tom Brady, the legendary quarterback himself, visited Randall’s booth. The two spent time discussing everything from baseball cards to the New England Patriots’ preseason game against the Philadelphia Eagles the night before. They even delved into the history of Brady’s autograph.

The encounter was captured on video, turning a special moment into a viral sensation. “This weekend was beyond incredible,” Randall said. “Thank you @Topps and @Fanatics for capturing it, and a huge thank you to @TomBrady for stopping by our booth.” The video, shared by Brady on his Instagram story, catapulted Randall into the spotlight.

“Brady sharing the video really blew up my phone,” Randall said. “It’s been a wild ride ever since.”

Randall, who lives in Central Massachusetts and is the head coach of the Burrillville High School boys basketball team in Rhode Island, has been passionate about card collecting since he was five years old. “My parents used to take me to the card shop every Friday,” he reminisced, a tradition he now continues with his son, Grayson.

A few years ago, Randall decided to leave his teaching job to pursue his passion for selling sports cards full-time. His brand, DaCaptain37, which originated as his old college-era AOL screen name, has grown significantly, thanks in large part to his wife, Melissa, who has helped him build a strong social media presence.

Randall’s collection includes some rare and valuable Tom Brady cards, such as a 2000 Fleer Showcase rookie card and a 2002 Bowman Chrome Gold Refractor. But even for a seasoned collector, deciding what to keep and what to sell isn’t always easy. “It’s tough to part with some of these cards,” Randall admitted, noting that his business is also a “college fund” for his two children.

Meeting Tom Brady was a career highlight for Randall. He described Brady as “genuine and down-to-earth,” recalling how the quarterback introduced himself with a laugh. “Like anyone wouldn’t know who he is,” Randall said. “But then he asked, ‘What have you got for me today?’ and spent about 10 minutes chatting with us.”

During their conversation, Brady shared the story behind his autograph. “He told me he initially modeled it after his dad’s signature during his rookie year, but over time, he made it his own,” Randall explained. “He even mentioned that he tried to incorporate the number 12 into the ‘B’ of his last name. Once you see it, you can’t unsee it.”

In the viral video, Brady is seen admiring Randall’s collection, saying, “Insane. You’ve got a great collection here.” Brady left with several of Randall’s cards, including one autographed by both Brady and Joe Montana, as well as others signed by quarterbacks Drake Maye, Anthony Richardson, and Caleb Williams.

Randall’s encounter with Brady is sure to be a story he’ll tell for years to come. As he gears up for a busy trading season, including an appearance at the Causeway Card Show at TD Garden in September, Randall’s reputation as “the Tom Brady guy” is more solidified than ever. Fans and collectors can check out his impressive catalog of cards on Instagram and Flickr, where he continues to share his passion for the hobby.